Jamaican High Commission United Kingdom

Jamaican high commission

Getting Married in Jamaica

Jamaica is an unforgettable location to have your wedding. To ensure that the planning of this special day runs hassle-free the following information should help to guide you through the process.

General Information

Waiting Period

Visitors can be married just 24 hours after arriving in Jamaica, provided prior application has been made for a marriage licence.

Documentation (Mandatory)

  • Proof of citizenship – certified copy of Birth Certificate
  • Parents' written consent if under 18 years of age
  • Proof of divorce (if applicable) – original certificate of divorce
  • Certified copy of death certificate for widow or widower


  • Please review the requirements for marrying in a foreign country. If your country’s language is not English and your country does not have an Embassy/High Commission in Jamaica, you may have other requirements for legalising your documents.

Blood Test

No Blood test is required.

Using a recommended marriage officer to plan your wedding

Marriage officers are available throughout the island and may be requested through the:

  • Registrar General's Department
  • Twickenham Park
  • St. Catherine
  • Tel: (876) 984 3041 – 5
  • Fax:(876) 749 6457
  • Email: Contact Us/Feedback
  • Website: www.rgd.gov.jm
  • Facebook: facebook.com/rgd.jamaica

Each Marriage Officer may have his/her own price. However, the process remains basically the same.

  • You will be required to send notarised COPIES of all documents. These should be sent by courier to the Marriage Officer. Courier service, though more expensive, is more reliable and quicker than the post.
  • The Marriage Officer will fill out the required forms and arrange all documents.
  • He/She can arrange for the ceremony to take place in a church or at a location of your choice.
  • Marriage ceremonies may be conducted every day of the week between the hours of 6:00 am and 20:00 pm.
  • Upon travel to Jamaica, please do not forget to bring the ORIGINAL documents with you.

Hotel Planned Weddings

Most hotels in Jamaica have wedding coordinators or someone who can plan your wedding for you! Some hotels even offer weddings inclusive in your holiday package! Ask your travel agent which ones do and once the hotel or tour operator offers this service, most travel agents will even assist you with the planning.

The process is the same as when using a Marriage Officer. The main difference may be the cost or the time frame for sending the required documents to the hotel.

Some hotels require the documents at least 6 weeks prior to the proposed wedding date. Please verify all details with the hotel or tour operator first.

Marriage ceremonies may be conducted every day of the week between the hours of 6:00 am and 20:00 pm.

After the Ceremony

Immediately following the ceremony, you will be given a copy of the Marriage Register which shows proof of marriage. This is signed by the Marriage Officer, yourselves and your witnesses. Please note that the copy of the Marriage Register is NOT a legal document and as such cannot be used to conduct any business. You must obtain a certified copy of your marriage certificate.

Certified Copy of Marriage Certificate

The Marriage Certificate may be applied for by the Marriage Officer and takes between 7 working days to 1 month to be processed by the Registrar General's Department (Registry of births, deaths and marriages) whose address appears above. You may apply for it yourself and there is an express service available. Please ask your Marriage Officer or the Hotel wedding coordinator when you make initial contact and make your payments.

If your country’s language is not English then your documents must be legalised by your Embassy/High Commission which represents your Government in Jamaica. After the original Marriage Certificate is issued by the Jamaican Government, the certified copy is sent to the Marriage Officer who forwards this with your address to your Embassy/High Commission. Alternatively, you may have the original Marriage Certificate authenticated by this High Commission prior to being legalized by your respective Embassy/High Commission, for example, in London (or any other location).

Only after being legalised by your Embassy/High Commission is the marriage process in Jamaica complete and your marriage will be recognised as a legal union in your country of origin.